Herning2022 has turned the approach to sustainability upside down. Instead of apologising for the CO2-emissions that such an event unavoidably will emit, the focus is on putting a positive imprint on the world.
To inspire and include the 50 National Federations participating in the FEI World Championships, they have all been invited to help offset the event and support the green transition by supporting a sustainable project chosen by Herning2022 and its partner First Climate.
– We want to create lasting positive impacts, and we can’t do that alone. We are very happy to see, that so many of the National Federations are supporting us in this agenda, and we are proud to feature them on our different channels and acknowledge their commitment when they join us in our ambition to make this event more sustainable, says Jens Trabjerg, one of the Organisers.
National Federations are a part of the solution
It is voluntary whether the National Federations will join, but there has been great interest, and the Federations can join right up until the last competitions have been completed.
– This is our planet, and we must all be a part of the solution. We are so grateful for the support and backing we have received for this initiative. Every day new federations register Jens Trabjerg says.
The climate protection project supported by Herning2022 is a wind power project in Northwestern Turkey. The wind farm is located in the hills along the Marmara Sea coast, an area with ideal conditions for sustainable electricity generation from wind power. The project has 35 wind turbines that provide more than 100,000 people per year with clean electricity. The project has been certified by the internationally recognized Gold Standard.
Herning2022 is the contracting partner and will provide each National Federation with a certificate testifying that they have contributed to compensation of the CO2-emissions from the World Championships.
Visitors and spectators can join
The project has been chosen by Herning2022 and First Climate, which is a leading global provider of carbon management and green energy services for corporate and public sector clients. They develop, finance, and source verified emission reduction projects around the globe to assist companies in reducing their carbon footprint.
– We are delighted to work with such a large-scale sporting event, particularly because Herning2022 set very precise sustainability goals from day one. We appreciate the Herning2022 organizers’ strong commitment to reducing their carbon footprint and working on many different sustainable solutions. It shows that everybody can take small steps and make a difference, Laura Ann Lüdtke, First Climate, says.
At Herning2022 it is possible to meet First Climate.
– As a first in events, we offer our guests the possibility to compensate for their transport to the event. They just visit First Climate in Solution Square and follow their instructions, Jens Trabjerg says.
Solution Square is an area in EquiPark – the event area – dedicated to green solutions.
– We hope that it can create even more of a “ripple effect” as part of our ambition – both for the individuals, nations and for future event organisers.
Facts about sustainability at Herning2022
ECCO FEI World Championships Herning – Denmark 2022 will be held from 6 to 14 August 2022.
There will be competitions in four disciplines: Dressage, Jumping, Para-Dressage, and Vaulting.
The Organising Committee behind the Championships in addition to VM Herning 2022 ApS, are also the public partners, Sport Event Denmark, Herning Municipality, and Dansk Ride Forbund (Danish Riding Association).
Herning2022 works with sustainability on several levels:
Herning2022 will create a new benchmark for sustainability at major sporting events.
3 principles of sustainability
- Seek positive ripple effects
- Think circular
- Engage all suppliers in a dialogue on sustainability.
Examples of initiatives
- Easily accessible off-setting solutions for the participants of these World Championships, and as inspiration for future sports events
- Collaboration with MCH Exhibition Herning on waste management and sorting (10 fractions) and catering
- Materials are rented to the extent it is possible. Many of the things produced for the event will be used by riding schools to secure a circular afterlife.
- Judge towers are made of recycled and/or FSC-certified wood in collaboration with a local production school and are guaranteed an after-life
- The World Championship Forest as a 21-acre permanent legacy for Herning2022
Read more about Herning2022 and the sustainability efforts on https://herning2022.com/en/our-approach-mindset